We are so in love with a little boy named...Connor!

Lilypie

Thursday, November 19, 2009

TV exposure...

Well, let it be known, that I don't really like watching TV. One day, a few years ago, I, all of a sudden realized how much TV consumed my time....having to be home at a certain time to watch the show, or fretting over if the tape would work, etc. So, I caught onto this "time waster" and decided I was done, no more Grey's, no more ER, done! Now, don't get me wrong, I still have a few shows that I LOVE to watch, 'Friends' reruns and 'The Biggest Loser" are both by far my favorite! However, I have limited my TV watching time.

Well, now that I'm a parent, I also want to limit TV to Connor; of course when he's older he can enjoy an episode now and then of Sesame Street, and a few other good quality educational shows. But, a few weeks ago, I found this article and have become more aware of Connor blankly starring at the TV. I try to limit it as much as I can, if I have it on for background noise, I simply turn Connor away from it. Of course, you can't avoid the TV all the time, especially when Sean comes home....actually, Connor is always in a trance when the two boys cuddle up and watch football and it's cute! But, it does concern me. I know that when I was younger, my sisters and I always watched TV...and 1 of the 3 of us, indeed as an adult, was diagnosed with ADHD. She though, was the one always up at 6 am, and outside playing. So based on us three girls, I'm not sure how effective this study is.
So, is it 'Amish-like' of me to want to turn off the media and spend time exploring through with hands on material? I read to Connor daily, we play together daily...and I let him explore and play on his own (because independent play is always good too!) Anyways, what are your thoughts about limited/no TV watching for kids 2 and under?

1 comment:

Erin said...

children under 2 years of age should not be watching TV at all. Yes, tons of research has been done on the subject, but coming from someone who has spent the past 10 years of her life studying early childhood development, it serves no purpose. Even those "educational" shows only serve the purpose of offering mindless/unstimulating material for young children to look at. They can't interact with it, so it's not provoking any brain activity. Even after 2 years of age, TV time should be limited and very carefully monitored.

That being said, is the occasional TV program to sooth a hysterical baby or entertain while you try to get your first shower in 3 days going to fry your baby's brain... no. Just know that it doesn't serve them any educational purpose, even the "Einstein" DVDs. Any of your readers can flame away at me for this if they wish... but if you are allowing your child to watch enough TV that it reaches the levels that effect their cognitive development, you seriously need to reconsider your parenting style. Take your kid outside, read to them, play games with them, let them live, experience, and learn from life!!!

(sorry for the soapbox on your blog... can you tell I'm a tad bit passionate about early childhood development!!)